Hillary Hub Camp!

 Hello everyone, 

last week the Hillary Hub and I went to a school camp to Wainui. Wainui is close to Akaroa.  We started off with the bus ride over there. I had a front seat next to Greta ( my friend ).  When we got there we went and had a look at our bunk rooms.

Bunk Rooms:

I had a very good bunk room in my bunk room I had my friends Maddie, Meg M and Hazel. It was a nice quiet bunk room. We got to sleep well although we did have noisy neighbours running around and giggling on the first night, but we did have good sleep.

Activities:

The activities were fun the one I was most scared about was abseiling. The one I was most excited for was Kayaking.

High Ropes:

I enjoyed learning how to belay and to feed to rope out and in, we also learned how to coil the rope. My favourite was probably feeding the rope through. The climbing part was a bit scary although I did not get to do much climbing as we had to take turns in a 4, overall I love learning how to do it all.

Kayaking:

I really enjoyed Kayaking, maybe it was because we had a really sunny day for it. It was my favourite activity. I loved gliding across the water, even though I got a bit wet. We also went in double kayaks, so I was with a friend. Skills I learned were: Being able to spin the kayak around in circles, we also learned how to paddle backwards.

Abseiling :

I was very frightened about this activity. I was shaking as I was climbing up. It was actually very scary. I could feel myself feeling like I was not able to do it. But I did it, and it was so relieving coming down, knowing I did it and was so brave. The tree we climbed up was 15 meters!

Orienteering :

Orienteering was good. We got a bit lost at first but then we found a checkpoint and then realised the next checkpoint was nearby and then the next and the next, and it went on from there. It was a good activity, I did it with Greta, Maddie, and Hannah M. This was really fun, I loved searching for the checkpoints.

Archery :

Archery was really fun, we learned how to pull back the bow and arrow. I learned quite a bit on that like to only use 3 or 2 fingers when you pull back the arrow. The best I got was blue, but it was still enjoyable.


Search and Rescue:


This was one of my favourites. I learned how to use a walkie talkie, look for clues to find a missing person, and we learned how to tie someone injury up, and we learned how to make and stretcher, we also learned how to put someone on the stretcher.


That was all the activities and I think I enjoyed Kayaking the most!


Food :


I thought the food was very yum and filling. We were so grateful to have a chef that cooked for us. The first night we had spaghetti bolognese or dinner. Then for breakfast, I had cereal, and at lunch, we had soup and toasties. At dinner time that night, we had roast chicken and salad. The next morning I had toast for breakfast and for lunch we had pizza. These dishes were very delicious and I enjoyed them all!


Photos:









Thank you for reading, by Ruby S


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science experment !

Term 2!

St Patricks day